Safer Buildings Group answers questions about the new Queensland cladding regulation
Queensland’s new cladding regulation: What’s it about?
On 1 October 2018, a new cladding regulation came into effect in Queensland. The Building and Other Legislation (Cladding) Amendment Regulation 2018 (Qld) now places new obligations on private building owners. The Queensland Government passed it as a consequence of the tragedy of the Grenfell Tower fire in London. That blaze was unfortunately greatly worsened by combustible cladding.
The Non-Conforming Building Products Taskforce carried out an audit for combustible cladding earlier this year. In short, it identified 172 government buildings for further investigation. Further, the Taskforce identified about 10% of 12,000 privately owned buildings as needing further investigation.
Who does the new cladding regulation affect?
The new regulation applies to privately owned buildings in Queensland:
- in classes 2 to 9 of a type A or type B construction – that is, most habitable buildings other than detached houses or townhouses separated by fire-resistant walls. For example, multi-unit residential buildings, hotels, motels, office buildings, shopping centres, retail shops, cafes, restaurants, factories, warehouses, health-care buildings, childcare centres, schools, sporting facilities, night clubs and aged care facilities.
- approved between 1 January 1984 and 30 September 2018 – including those where the approval was granted to alter the cladding in that time.
The body corporate is the “owner” for buildings of more than one lot.
Ok, it affects me and my building. What do I need to do?
First up, you should contact us at Safer Buildings for detailed advice. We are building safety experts who can guide you through the regulatory requirements.
Safer Buildings Group serves all sectors covered by class 2 to class 9 buildings. As a consequence, we work with private building owners, building managers and owner corporations. Safer Buildings Group works as well as with asset management companies and insurance agents and brokers.
Safer Buildings Group services
We will first look at your needs according to the new regulation. Then, we will offer services to suit.
• initial building inspections
• fire safety risk assessment
• sampling and combustibility testing
• cladding assessment and advice
• cladding remediation.
Don’t take risks with cladding or with compliance. Contact us today for a quote.